Theorem: Every mechanic in every map is simply an attempt to make an objective interesting.
Proof: Every mechanic has a completion state, reached by traveling to a specific set of points in the map. Regardless of the specifics, these are the "objective(s)" and, once completed, the mechanic is finished.
Theorem: In Eurasia, 1211 has used lasers and launchpads to create a mechanic that is successful in achieving the elusive state of "fun."
Proof: I'll leave this as an exercise to the player. — script
Wintercon + Dronies
Secondness, the 2013 Dronies are almost upon us, so take some time to go through the year's maps and chose your nominations. I'm continuing the process of using a 'code' that I PM you on the forums to verify your account on the webform site. Message me on the forums and I will send you a seven-letter word which will be your code. The form is HERE [dronies.webform.com] but submissions won't be open until January.
Here are the FRIGHT NIGHT winners!
1st: Gluttony by Tempus_Fugit [nmaps.net]
2nd: Mr.October by IodineEny [nmaps.net]
3rd: The Dead Shall Rise Again by blue_rocks [nmaps.net]
4th: 37-2: Multiple Possesion Fuhai no Onna by deep_blue [nmaps.net]
I've posted my critiques and Chrdrenkmann's top five here [forum.droni.es]. The next NUMACon will be announced at the end of November, but you'd best practice mapping until then.
HallowCON and Reviewer Revivals
Also, I'm sure many of you are a little disappointed with how few and far between the featured maps have been. So let's get some fresh blood (mwahahah). If you think you can write two reviews a month and have the best taste in maps ever, leave me a comment on this map: http://www.nmaps.net/230313 [nmaps.net]
Have fun and brush your teeth daily.
There were many good choices, but even more challenges and clever ideas which you guys thought of. TommyWiseau, lfaber and I made our judgements, and TW says, "the most important aspect in judging is how much the map motivated us to complete it; not only because of how fun it was, but also because of our desire to discover how much creativity had been put into the puzzle mechanics."
1. Phantom Corridors [nmaps.net] by Nexx
2. Crosseyed and Painless [nmaps.net] by anco
3. It appears I can't compete with image maps. [nmaps.net] by NachoCheese
4. Skyood [nmaps.net] by DDRave
5. Hell Yeah [nmaps.net] by da_guru
I can't say for sure when the next NUMACon will be, but if you have any suggestions for themes (not enemy-based) leave me a comment. Keep up the excellent mapping, y'all.
Dronies Results (Plus a NUMACon!)
Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you to all the wonderful folks who voted. Let's hope the 2013s will be just as successful.
This just in! The next NUMACon will be called Perplex [nmaps.net] and will be an old-fashioned puzzle map challenge. Three entries per person and the maps must be beatable (no survivals, etc.). Bonus points for maps which utilize jumper aspects. Judges are TBD and you have until September First to submit your entries. Tag your maps "perplex" and may the best baffler win!
The 2012 Dronies
1. http://www.nmaps.net/227868 by apulse
2. http://www.nmaps.net/227936 by 29403
3. http://www.nmaps.net/228010 by tommywiseau
4. http://www.nmaps.net/227890 by PALEMOON
5. http://www.nmaps.net/228014 by apulse
stay based, america
Anyway, judging will be some combination of flag, gloomp, Aidiera, trance, RandomDigits and my friend who recently became homeless and now lives on a mattress in my bathroom. He has never played N so his will be a fresh perspective. The freshest. We will judge on a holistic combination of map quality, aesthetic value and how well you incorporated the base tiles. So the example I posted above would get a 0 in the latter because I just shit all over them.
Tag your maps 'basedgod'. Submissions open until April 25th. No more than two per mapper. Don't forget to use paste.droni.es so we can track your progress from the base tiles to the finished map! Thanks.
1. keen [nmaps.net] by Wizard2, emulating losttortuga. Exactly what we had in mind for emulator, fantastic job.
2. Transmutations [nmaps.net] by spudzalot, emulating cahu. Interesting choice, lots of atmosphere to mimic.
3. COUCHELLA [nmaps.net] by Pizzles, emulating Yahoozy. Hard to pull off without seeming trite; well done.
4. WOLF DOWN [nmaps.net] by Nphasis, emulating PALEMOON. Extremely interesting gameplay in a compact space.
5. from pasadena, we muddled east 'till we hit the rockies [nmaps.net] by Onesevennine, emulating blue_tetris. He'd be proud if sober, prouder if drunk.
HM: APulse, Pheidippides, Riobe.
Judging by flag, gloomp, RandomDigits. Maps were judged holistically on a combination of map quality, emulation accuracy, and to a lesser extent how much your style showed through in your emulation. Looked for a reasonable balance.